Afghanistan Diary
Tuesday, February 01, 2005
  Fine foods

Tonight, I was in mood to treat myself with the finest food money can buy in the immediate vicinity of my house. I walked carefully (so as not to slip on the ice) on a street that was solely lit by the stores’ gas lights until I reached a wooden cart selling the local delicacy: french fries, a hardboiled egg and halal sausage wrapped in a naan sandwich and flavored with curry powder ($0.2).

One man, dressed in rwipped clothes was busy collecting fries by sweeping the greasy counter with his hand. He wrapped a piece of naan around the fries and others ingredients (the whole thing looked somewhat like a burrito), then he wrapped a strip of old newspaper around it and hand it over to me.

While he was doing that, his partner – who was infinitely amused at the fact that I wanted to buy something from them - was deep frying fries in a dark brown bubbly mixture, only one foot above the pavement that carried all the remains of a market day.

I dare say: if we were in the US, I do not think this business would receive the approval of the department of health. However, it compares advantageously to Mc Donald in both taste and healthiness. Kabul is one of the few capitals where there is no Mc Donald, although, I have been told that there is a Wendy inside the American military base.

For lunch, I eat at my work’s cantina everyday. While the food there is not very good, I love this type of food and the way of eating it: stews with lamb, chicken and/or chickpeas, eaten with naan bread (they tear a piece of naan, then use to grab food off the plate). Today, the waiter brought me a spoon and a fork because I was a foreigner. I was a little offended, but I reminded myself he was just trying to be nice.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger