Afghanistan Diary
Thursday, February 10, 2005
  Bukharis

Yesterday, one of my housemate got sick. The pipes of her bukhari (furnace) got clogged and her room filled with smoke (which she inhaled). She went to the hospital after she repeatedly fainted, but was discharged. She is doing better now.

The good news is that the weather is slowly getting warmer and we *shouldn't* need bukharis for much longer.

I went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday (to celebrate the Chinese new year) with a few colleagues and many others people. I’ve got to specify that this was indeed an honest establishment because in Kabul, many chinese “restaurants” are places of ill-repute where more than food is on the menu. I enjoyed talking to Jesper, a guy who lived in China for many years and speaks fluent Chinese as a result. The food was plentiful to say the least. The check was actually not so high in Western terms, although completely prohibitive by local standards.

I discussed with some others folks the possibility of traveling to Mazar-e Sharif, which is the place I wanted to go to. There is a plane but my potential traveling companions, where keener on going by road (which worries me a little).


 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger