Afghanistan Diary
Wednesday, February 02, 2005
 

I haven’t even been here for a week yet, in some ways it feels like I have been here for months.

I am about finished reading my book on VBA for Access. Does that enable me to take over the development of these databases? Unfortunately not. However, my understanding of Access has increased.

Today when we got home, the guard who was visibly excited gestured for us to follow him. He took us to the kitchen were a surprise awaited us. All the stoves were lit like birthday cakes (we hadn’t had gas for a while because the pipes were frozen). We laughed and cheered. On top of that, we had electricity (without generator) and running water. The simple pleasures of life… To be frank, the discomfort we experience here does not bother me. I don’t think that electricity, running water, gas, heating contribute as much to happiness as most people claim it does. I never understood why people are perfectly happy to live in rustic conditions during a camping holiday, but consider modern facilities as essential for the rest of the year. [Ironically, while I was writing this paragraph, the overhead light went dim several times which is usually a sign that we won’t have city electricity for very long.]

I had a brief look at the monthly security situation summary from ANSO (Afghanistan Non-Governmental Organization Security Office). It is not especially a reassuring reading. Considering that last January was a quiet month, the list of security incidents that have occurred through Afghanistan is not slim. Kabul was very quiet though. The report notes “The country is observing a lull in security incidents due to seasonal, severe weather conditions.” I don’t know that we should look forward to Spring so much.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger