Afghanistan Diary
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
  Cars

Now that the weather is warming up, a few horses can be seen in the street. Either they are ridden or they are pulling heavy wooden carts with two automobile wheels at the bottom (although by far, most such carts are man powered).

Kabul is Toyota country. One can see a few Benz and some Ladas, but the overwhelmingly popular cars are Toyotas, especially the Townace minibus and the Corrolla, of any age and shape. They other day, I was counting the Corrollas and they composed something like 60% of the cars on the roads. I know they are good cars (I just sold mine) but I don’t know why there isn’t more diversity of vehicles. It would be a good commercial “Only the Toyota Corrolla is robust enough to drive on the beat up Afghan roads.” The main exceptions are the big ass 4x4 vehicles that belong to the UN or to others NGOs.

While on the topic of car, ours (guess which brand and model? A Toyota Corrolla) had a flat tire for the second time in the space of a month. It happened when Lyn was driving it so I wasn’t there to help (which might be just as because I don’t know how well I would have done).

In Kabul, the police does not tow illegally park vehicles, neither do they clamp the wheels. Instead, they ingeniously let the air out of two tires.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger