Afghanistan Diary
Sunday, April 10, 2005
 

A group of us (two Afghan and three expats) went to Salang today. It was alright, but not the best outing we have made. The drive is scenic. We would have liked to venture off the main road into local villages but the two Afghans we were with were adamant this was not a good idea (in their own words “We cannot guarantee your safety there”). We reluctantly did the right thing and followed their advice.

Today, I was asked for the first time by an Afghan man what my religion was. It came to me as a surprised that it took so long for somebody to ask the question. According to my past experiences in the muslim world, it is usually about the first question one is being asked. I answered honestly (“I am a Jew”) without getting into the specifics (“ethnically and culturally a Jew, atheist as far as religion is concerned”). I have been trying to keep a low profile here, in order not to make myself to appetizing a target. I haven’t forgotten Daniel Perl. I mean, getting shot is one thing, but having one’s head sawed off… that’s just unacceptable! You’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

Seriously though, we are not much in danger here. I talked to somebody today and according to him, there is no way that in Kandahar we would have the freedom to drive ourselves around like we do here.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger