Afghanistan Diary
Sunday, April 10, 2005
  Hidjab

Some time ago, I mentioned that women may wear a hidjab or even a burka in one context, then take it off later. I thought it was puzzling. Sure, social pressure account in part for women covering themselves in the street but that is not all. My mistake was to think that because women cover their hair, there is a taboo on showing one’s hair in public. If you think, in terms of taboo, then it does not make any sense that the same person sometimes wears it, sometimes doesn’t. I think that it may be better thought of as a matter of decency. What is decent in one context is not in another. There is nothing strange there, you don’t dress the same to go to a club, to hang out with friends or to go to work.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger