Afghanistan Diary
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
 
I am considering resigning tomorrow. We'll see. I will sleep on it. Clearly, I am not doing a good job because I am bored. I don't think the situation is going to improve, so maybe I should cut my losses. It is a shame because I like the organization I work for, the people I work with, and even life in Kabul (I know that must sounds strange from the outside).

On a more optimistic note, I received from a friend the complete accurate map of Kabul in vector format. I don't think it is georeferenced though (if it is, it uses another coordinate system, not lat and lon). If I use that, the result will be more accurate than if I use the map I drew by hand. On the other hand, it represent quite a bit of work. First, I need to parse the .shp binary files, next I need to make sense of the data, which is non trivial because it is a series of polygon, rather than lines and polylines, and last but not least, I need to implement a line intersection algorythm in order to know which road segment connects to which road segment.

Oh yeah, and if I can make it work, I already have a buyer for my navigation system.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger