Afghanistan Diary
Thursday, July 14, 2005
  Last day at work
Today is my last day at work. I am in a very pissy mood and I do little to hide it. One reason for this is that my boss had set a deadline last week for everyone to submit to me a list of amends to make to my softwares. What did I not receive yesterday afternoon and late this morning? A list of amends, one week late, 24 h before I leave. I could have strangled the guy, although, thinking about it, I might have derived more pleasure in repeatedly bashing his head against the monitor. I mulled over both possibilities at length. To make things worse, my boss sided with the person submitting the list 24h late and she accused me to spend all my time working on Pocket PCs. That really pissed me off, because I worked on that project almost exclusively during evenings and week-ends. It is bad enough that I never got the least support from management to do that kind of things (not that I expect kudos, but some acknowledgement would be nice), but now I am actually getting penalized for it. I gave her a piece of my mind in an email (she is out of town) and haven't heard from her since, which is probably not a good thing.

At the end of the day, I realize that I feel very unsupported and unappreciated at work and I know that I am not the only person to have such feelings. It is hard to work in these conditions.

I leave DACAAR in very good terms with my peers, my immediate supervisor and with the water supply unit (the folks with whom I have been working with my gps). With my actual boss, things are a little more tense.

Today there was a festive lunch organized to mark the fact it was a colleage's last day and mine. However scripted these occassions are, it was really nice of them to do so. They also gave me a turban as a present, which no doubt, will make quite an impression in Albuquerque. :) What is even nicer is that they organized a little shisha party tonight.

Leendert, the manager of the water supply unit has ask if he could buy my toys. I sold him the whole setup: pocket pc, gps, bluetooth adaptor, software, etc. Equipment can be hard to find here and in this way, he is sure that everything is setup and working.

Tomorrow, I am off to Dubai, then a long ride to New Mexico. I have a job interview when I arrive, then I'll go on a little camping trip. I did not get the job I interviewed for at the University, btw.

 
Comments:
Hi.

Yes we must Support the U.S. Navy.


Found this great support song and website on the internet to support the U.S. Navy
I like it and think that it is a good song. It is very important now that our troops know we stand by them no matter what.

Check it out and pass it on

http://westandbyyou.net/


Dave
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my diary. My name is Lev and I work in Kabul for a non-governmental organization (dacaar.org).

Name:
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 /


Powered by Blogger